Friday, August 28, 2009

Penfolds Bin 407 - Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

One of the best and smoothest sub RM$200 Cab Sauvs I have ever tasted, we enjoyed the flavours of this little treat. Brought it back from Changi Airport, Singapore, where I paid SGD$60 for it at Terminal 2. That's about RM$150 in proper money :-)



Some professional opinions agree with my pallet :-)

Shopping.com
Penfolds Chief Winemaker, John Duval, in response to the increasing availability of high-quality cabernet sauvignon fruit. Inspired by Penfolds Bin707, Bin 407 offers varietal definition and attention to detail, at a moreaffordable price point.A textbook Cabernet, the varietally expressive Bin 407 is true to Penfolds multi- region, multi-vineyard blending policy, showing a core of ripe fruit supported by French and American oak.

Winefront.com.au
I often like Bin 407 but even so, I don’t have an affection for it. It was one of the first wines to ‘burn’ me - one of the first wines that I bought in volume on the back of a review, but then didn’t end up liking, even given some time in the cellar. I’ve approached it sceptically ever since. Over the past few years I’ve come to like it increasingly more though, and while I don’t think this 2006 is either a great wine or great value, I do think the quality is very good.
It’s medium-weight, olivey, fleshed with blackcurrant and spicy, cedary French oak. It has chalky, violetty, herbal influences but the thing I really like is that it’s pure cabernet made unashamedly for cabernet lovers – it’s not a shiraz wannabe. It tastes of nothing other than cabernet. There’s a sticky-date sweetness through the aftertaste and gorgeous, velvety texture. Real length too, and real potential. 93 points for me.

No comments: