Sunday, February 22, 2009

Albert, Vijay and Badar @ La Bodega Lounge, Bangsar

Add: 1st Floor, 18 Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar Baru, KL
Located: Above La Bodega Deli
Tel: +603 2287 3808
Opening hours: Mon-Sat @ 12pm-1am, Sun @ 10am-1am

Along with Bangsar's WIP and the Social, as well as Hartamas' Blackhole, this easily ranks as one of my favourite places to unwind in town.


I was here to introduce music by Albert, Vijay and Badar to some new friends :-) as I had gotten wind of their performance via Facebook. Best of, no cover charge!


Excerpt from nst.com.my
He’s well-known singer and guitarist Albert Sirimal.
“Hey, how’s it been?” the 45-year-old Albert asks, running his fingers through his hair before sitting down.
With a new band in tow, the veteran pub musician is all geared up for his performance at the Genting International Jazz Festival next month.

“I’ve been singing in pubs for a long time. With singer Vijay David and percussionist Badar, we’ve been playing at the same places for ages.
“But we recently started playing one-night-only shows at different venues.”

Albert’s passion for music began at a young age. His father, a school teacher and disciplinarian, played the harmonium and tabla.
“I was surrounded by music and when I was 15, my dad got me different guitar parts from a pawn shop which I glued together and made my first guitar.
“He taught me all the chords he knew on the guitar, which wasn’t much but when shifted around, I could play John Denver’s Country Road,” says Albert, his eyes lighting up.
“Then he bought me a chord book. But when I started memorising the chords and songs and was constantly playing, dad got frightened.
“He gave a pep talk on how I should concentrate on my studies. So I went to college to do electrical engineering. I dropped out and started playing the guitar for money. I’ve not stopped.”


Juliansi.blogspot.com
Personally, I am glad Albert hasn't stopped ... I was hooked on his genre of music from the first time I watched him perform at DJ, at a very special birthday party last year (Mezza Note @ Heritage Row), and then R introduced me to Albert at No Black Tie.



expatkl.com
Sofas for lounging, books for unwinding, tapas for teasing and wine for indulging set against a backdrop of smooth jazz sounds is the home away from home that the La Bodega team have created with La Bodega Lounge.
Located above La Bodega Deli, the Lounge is the place to unwind if you yearn to be pampered in an environment that is far from the madding crowd of Bangsar below, soaking up the sounds of live jazz until the wee hours in the morning.
The menu offers a different take on the tapas found at La Bodega, the focus being placed on contemporary tapas with funky variations – delectable dishes not found anywhere outside the streets of Barcelona.
The wine list offers a short, yet select range of quality New and Old World wines from Spain, South America, Australia and California and a choice of Champagnes and sparkling wines. For those looking to emulate our trendy Catalan counterparts the cocktail menu certainly spoils you for choice with an array of thirst quenching and head spinning concoctions. Cigar aficionados will feel at home with the impressive walk-in cigar humidor containing a fine selection of cigars hailing from Cuba and The Dominican Republic.
La Bodega Lounge’s cosy interior is adorned with sofas and dark wood furniture, whilst black and white photographs of jazz legends, as well as carefully chosen pieces of original artwork, festoon the walls. With such unique offerings, La Bodega Lounge is difficult to resist. Advance reservations are recommended.

No comments: